Monday, June 4, 2007

An Adventure with Brian

I figure I'll just recount Brian adventures until he takes off for parts east.

A question of writing and materiality: It's long been my contention (and not only mine) that we can't talk "honestly" about writing and self without taking into account the materiality of the self. If writing ties together language and identity, it isn't just scribbled words on a page that constructs us, but events like this....

Brian and I were getting 5-shot Americanos at the campus Starbucks, and as I came out of the shop, I heard "somebody should erase that faggot s***." The provocateur (let's call him Spunky) was addressing two young men who were reading a whiteboard advertising the Pride Center.

"You shouldn't say faggot," said one of the young men (let's call him Cap'n Crunch).

"F*** you, FAGGOT," said Spunky, going into the convenience store next to Starbucks. I went over to Cap'n Crunch and his pal just as Spunky came back out. He called Cap'n Crunch a "faggot" again, and left the building.


These experiences, too, must be part of queer theory. A related post, from Jonathan.

No comments: